Housing Development Corporation changed its name to Bienestar as it entered its 27th year of service to the community. Bienestar means well-being and was chosen to represent Bienestar’s deep commitment to the well-being of families and community.
We believe in the resilience and capacity of all human beings to help, change, adapt and lead in their own lives, their families, neighborhoods and communities.
We pursue our mission through:
- Quality, affordable housing located close to community services and mass transit
- Sustainable economic development that integrates housing, health, job training and education
- Leadership development that promotes neighborhood participation, accountability, appreciation of diversity, and human rights.
- 2008 Community Partner Agency of the Year - United Way
- 2002 Governor's Livability Award
- 2004 Touching Lives and Communities Award, US Department of Labor for workforce training and fostering self-sufficiency
- 2005 Award for Housing Excellence, Oregon Housing and Community Services Department
- Promotores Program, an adult workforce training program to develop community leadership and educate low-income parents about health, school and job resources, housing/financial information, and prepare selected residents for future jobs in outreach.
- Adult Programs: Programs for adult residents include computer classes, financial literacy, community gardens and more.
- Youth Programs: Programs for young residents include Homework Club, AKA Science Club, Basketball Club and more.
Bienestar leverages its scarce resources for these programs and services through partnerships. View a list of our funders and find out more about how you can help.
Partners support HDC's mission in a variety of ways, including contributions of time, talent and resources. View a list of our partners and find out more about how you can help.