Administrative Specialist III
Metro is seeking an Administrative Genius
Deadline to apply: April 30, 2018 @ 5:00 pm, PDT
Salary: $19.70 - $26.41 hourly
Are you an administrative genius?
Are you an experienced and efficient administrative professional with a high degree of technical savvy? Does the idea of supporting a team that works to improve the region's environment through recycling and waste reduction sound like music to your ears? Would you enjoy supporting a team full of smart, engaged, fun-spirited, hard-working individuals who love their work? Then Metro's Resource Conservation and Recycling (RCR) administrative specialist position may be the one for you.
This administrative specialist (Administrative Specialist III classification and working title) position provides and coordinates administrative, project management, office, committee, and technical support for a team of 29 full- and part-time professionals who work on waste reduction and recycling planning, education, community outreach and more. This position performs a variety of essential administrative functions for the division, including organizing and supporting meetings, document editing and preparation, purchasing, contract and grant processing, data entry, record-keeping and more. By tending to these important details, this position helps other team members focus on program planning, policy development, outreach and other activities that improve the region's quality of life.
Organizationally, this position is a member of the Property and Environmental Services (PES) department's Support Services team. The ten-person Support Services team delivers top-notch administrative and program support to all five divisions of the Property and Environmental Services department. The position is supervised directly by the PES Support Services Supervisor, with a "dotted-line" reporting relationship to Resource Conservation and Recycling staff. The Support Services team is growing, and the RCR division is leading exciting initiatives that shape recycling and waste reduction in the region. Additionally, the department's culture supports learning and professional growth. If you're an experienced, dynamic, team-oriented administrative professional who enjoys public service, we invite you to apply to be a part of our team.
Metro hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
• Three years of progressively responsible experience providing administrative support to senior management, and
• High school diploma or G.E.D., or
• Any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired knowledge skills, and ability required to perform the job.
• Possession of a valid driver's license issued in the incumbent's state of residency.
Preference will be given to applicants with any of the following:
• A Bachelor's degree, and/or
• Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite (in particular, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Access), Adobe InDesign, WebEx and Adobe Acrobat Pro (or equivalent software programs),
• Prior experience using the following software:Zoom Grants, Granicus Legistar, SmartSheet, Doodle, Chatter and/or Wufoo (or equivalent software).
• Prior experience providing administrative support to public advisory and/or grant committees.
• Direct experience working in recycling, resource conservation and/or the region's solid waste system.
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center.
1) Electronic application, 2) cover letter describing your qualifications as they relate to the duties of this position, 3) resume and 4) answers to supplemental questions, including attachment for question #2.
During the selection process, candidates who move forward may be asked to complete a skills assessment at Metro's office in northeast Portland.
Appointments are typically made at or near the beginning of the salary range.
Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.